L. Gucevičius Square

In the past, the current L. Gucevičius Square and Presidential Garden looked much different than it looks now. In the place of current L. Gucevičius square used to be a small cemetery. It is known, that at the beginning of the 16th century a column with the image of Crucified Jesus. In 1543 Bishop of Vilnius Paweł Holszański built a Chapel of St. Cross. In 1635, Brothers Hospitallers of Saint John of God settled near the church of St. Cross.

In the spring of 1651, a group of Franciscans, spades in their hands, walked to the monastery of the Order of the Hospitallers of Saint John of God, in the vicinity of the present-day Presidential Palace. The Fatebenefratelli brothers must have been greatly surprised when they saw Franciscans shoveling in their cemetery. Learn more about the first archeologic excavations in Vilnius by clicking this link.

Address: S. Daukanto Sq. 1