Piotr Skarga courtyard

The Great (Piotr Skarga) courtyard was formed during the Jesuit rule. The northern part of the courtyard is the oldest part of the university. In the second half of the 16th century, this courtyard was called an Academy Yard, later – it was named after Piotr Skarga, who was the first university rector. The courtyard itself consists of buildings from different periods, which in the 17th and 18th centuries acquired features of Baroque architecture. The enclosed courtyard was formed in 1610 when the bell tower was built.

The courtyard galleries contain portraits of the founders, patrons, famous scientists of the university. Among them are portraits of the last king Stanislaus August Poniatowski (1732-1798), King Sigismund Vasa (1566–1632), King August III Saxon (1696–1763).

Learn more about the first rector of Vilnius university by clicking this link.

Address: Universiteto St. 5