Reformers Cemetery

In 1640, King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania Władysław IV Vasa (1595-1648) issued a decree, by which Evangelical Reformats were moved behind the city walls, near the current-day Pylimo Street. At first, Evangelical Reformats built a wooden church and established their cemetery. In 1682, a wooden church and cemetery were damaged. To compensate for the losses, King and Grand duke Jan Sobieski allowed the church to be rebuilt.

In 1731, Evangelical Reformats were ordered to evict their cemetery further from the city’s center. However, this cemetery was used till the 1830s. The new cemetery was founded on a nearby hill. In 1835, a current Evangelical Reformats church was built on Pylimo St.

Learn more about the first evangelical resident of Vilnius by clicking this link.