Church of St. Johns

Church of St. Johns is one of the oldest Catholic churches in Vilnius. It is believed that the construction of the church began in 1386, initiated by the then King of Poland and the Grand Duke of Lithuania Władysław II Jagiełło, and its construction lasted as long as 40 years.

In 1571, St. the Church of St. Johns was handed over to the Jesuits who arrived a few years ago and had already established a college. After the establishment of Vilnius University, the church was frequently used in the studies process as students organized disputes, performances, and defended their theses in this church.

Elements of different architectural styles (Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, Classicism) can be found in the church. In the 16th century, the church was largely rebuilt in the Renaissance style. At the beginning of the 17th century, a belfry was constructed next to the church, which became the largest structure in Vilnius. After the fires that broke out in 1737 and 1749, the church suffered as the most of the city’s buildings. The church was reconstructed by a famous architect Johann Christoph Glaubitz, who gave the church’s façade its intricate and wavy forms of late Baroque architecture.

Learn about public examinations at the Church of St. Johns by clicking this link.

Address: Šv. Jono St. 13