Former Belfry of the Franciscan Church

From the end of the 16th century until 1872, the Gothic belfry stood in current day Pranciškonų St., which housed the Ciechanovicz Bell, named after the Franciscan friar who had funded its casting in the 17th century.

There were two reasons why belfry had been demolished. One was the active involvement of the Franciscans in the 1863-1864 Uprising against the Russian rule. Another was that a gothic belfry restricted movement on city streets.

Learn more about Franciscan Friary by clicking on this link.

Address: Pranciškonų St. 1