Trakai Gate

In 1503 King Alexander Jagiellon granted a privilege to the residents of Vilnius to fortify the city with a defensive wall to repel the potential attackers, as at the beginning of the 16th century, the Grand Duchy of Lithuania was facing a growing military threat from Muscovites and Crimean Tatars. According to the privilege, the wall should feature five gates – all leading to the most important cities. However, in the middle of the 17th century, the city of Vilnius had 10 gates.

Trakai gate was mentioned in 1503 privilege. In the second half of the 18th century, the gates tower had 2 floors, its architecture had baroque features From the city side, above the gate, a picture of St. Mary hung, which in 1803, after the demolition of the gate, was moved to the nearby Franciscan church.
Address: Trakai St. 2